In a world where time is short and competition is fierce, how do you fulfil all of your editorial responsibilities without sacrificing quality?
If you’re a content marketer, social media manager, or small business owner, this one’s for you. You will benefit from curating content because sharing fresh, engaging content helps build brands and reach wider audiences. Here’s why you need to take notice of content curation, whether that content happens to live in your blog, on your social media channels, inside your email marketing campaigns or somewhere else altogether.
Why content curation is essential for great social media management
- It helps you take advantage of trends in your sector – It’s important to know about ongoing trends in your market and make the most of them from a marketing perspective. When you track keywords using a curation tool you can watch what your competitors are writing about, see the industry publications they cover, know what the media is saying about them and access a constant stream of new topics, conversations, and points of view to share.
- It helps you become a thought leader – Whenever you share content you add to your reputation as a thought leader, someone at the forefront of your game, someone who’s an expert in your field… and that means a lot to your brand. Whether you share something you created yourself or share someone else’s content, you make it very clear you know all about the subject. And the more your thought leadership reputation develops, the more people will navigate to your content to solve their problems.
- It increases your audience – You want your audience to be responsive. Only then will they act as a powerful social media marketing tool in their own right. Engage them with brilliant content that sparks conversation, debate and discussion, and your brand will be at the front of their minds throughout the conversation. Kick off conversations about things your audience cares about, are talking about, are interested in and you’re onto a winner in the engagement stakes. Harness variety for the most powerful effect, sharing blog posts, images, infographics, video, animations, illustrations, white papers, testimonials, you name it – the more variety you push out there, the broader your ultimate audience.
- It creates essential extra marketing resources – As a smaller business you don’t employ a team of marketers… but that’s OK because you’re curating content. When you need to create a link, add a call to action, add a video or some other kind of media, content curation takes care of several of these lengthy steps for you. Imagine you’re sharing someone else’s post? All you have to do is handle the actual social content, not create a landing page.
- It makes brand building easier – It takes time, creativity and effort to create and grow a brand. When you find and share other people’s content and get into content curation, you have the resources you need to do that without having to create oodles of fresh content yourself. Every time you find content that mentions your service or sector, share it. Pull relevant quotes out of it. Précis it, lengthen it, add imagery, add video, make it your own, make it into an infographic. There’s no need to do a hard sell, no need even to mention your brand. Just share.
When you spend all your time reading, sharing and building out great content you soon develop an eye for your market, and that means you can easily spot gaps in competitor content and make a better job of it than they have. You can also write about the things they haven’t covered and grab an advantage.
No time to curate your own content?
You’re in social media management. To do a proper job of content curation you need to dedicate the right amount of time and effort to it. If you really don’t have the time to curate content yourself, or don’t have a marketing person to hand it over to, did you know it’s something you can outsource to experts? Our team of at Qwikseo.com specialises in social media management for small business and can help manage all of your social media channels.